About the American String Teachers Association:
The American String Teachers Association, founded more than 60 years ago, is a membership organization for string and orchestra teachers and players, helping them to develop and refine their careers. ASTA’s members range from budding student teachers to artist-status performers. The organization provides a vast array of services, including instrument insurance, an award-winning scholarly journal, discounts on publications and resources, annual professional development opportunities, and access to a collegial network of colleagues throughout the string profession. ASTA is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
ASTA is a national organization with state chapters. State chapters share the overall mission of ASTA National while addressing the needs and interests of ASTA members on a local level.
ASTA National Mission Statement:
The American String Teachers Association promotes excellence in string and orchestra teaching and playing. ASTA pursues its mission through:
• an open sharing of ideas
• benefits, services, and activities responsive to the needs of all members
• development of strong state leadership and chapters
• enhancing the image and visibility of string teaching and study
• advocacy for string education
• an inclusive community of string teachers and players
ASTA/NJ Mission Statement:
The objectives of ASTA/NJ shall be to:
• support and encourage the teaching of string instruments at all educational levels
• to promote and improve orchestras at all educational levels
• to establish the highest artistic and pedagogical standard